THE PURPOSEFUL PANTRY RECOMMENDS...
- Excalibur Dehydrator (usually around $200-250)
- Nesco FD-80 (under $80)
- Cabela's 10-tray Dehydrator (usually around $150, but goes on sale for $99 often)
- Cutting Gloves (if you use a mandoline - use this, even if you do use the cutting guard) I have a beefy hand and this pair works great for me (I ordered medium).
Cuisinart Coffee Grinder -I can no longer recommend this machine. My old one worked great, but it seems newer versions don't like the fine powder that is created from dehydrated foods and it leaks and makes a mess now. Here is the one I use now, and Mr. Coffee grinder is popular with the people in my Dehydrating Tips & Tricks group on Facebook.
- Nutri Ninja - grinding on a larger scale than a smaller coffee grinder, but not using a whole blender.
- Vegetable/Onion Chopper - this device let's me dice, chop and prep veggies for dehdyrating or canning easier and faster than doing it with a knife for large quantities. There is a larger bundle with more blades and options, but I prefer this more simplistic unit.
- Stainless steel funnel with mesh strainer
- Salad Spinner (helps remove excess moisture after washing produce). I also use this collapsible salad spinner.
- Mushroom, Strawberry & Egg bladed slicer
- • Silicone Mats
• Excalibur Silicone Mats - expensive, but heavy-duty and my favorite mats
- The Ultimate Dehydrator Cookbook
- Prepper's Dehydrator Handbook (don't let the name fool ya - it's a good book, but be warned, the print is light, so if you have site issues, this isn't the book for you.)
- The Dehydrator Bible
- Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Book
- National Center for Food Preservation Website is a good free tool
- Quick & Easy Dehydrated Meals in a Bag
- Just Add Water Meals in a Bag
- Recipes for Adventure - Backpacking Meals
- Vacuum Sealer -
- Mueller | Foodsaver | Compact Foodsaver |
- Vacuum Sealer Jar Attachments
- Hand-Held Vacuum Sealer - requires the jar attachments, but lets you make quick jobs of vacuum sealing jars for everyday use.
- Desiccant packs
- Oxygen Absorbers
- Mylar Bags + O² absorbers
- Presto Pressure Canner - also for use on glass top stoves
- All-American Pressure Canner
- Canning Starter Kit
- Prepworks Canning Scoop
►QUESTION: Can I use a canner on a glass top stove?
- Complete Guide to Home Canning
- Complete Guide to Home Canning (the free .pdf version)
- Ball Canning Book
- Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving
FREEZE DRYING TOOL
This company has a layaway program that you can put $250 down on a machine, pay as you can until half of the machine is paid for, then they'll ship it to you make monthly payments until it's paid off.
If you need a budget-friendly version of this list: