Never buy the taco seasoning packets again! Make this easy, great-tasting mix in bulk to have on hand for any Taco Tuesday, casserole, or a need for a Tex-Mex flavor anytime!
Homemade taco seasoning is a staple seasoning in our home. We use it at least twice a week with tacos, with our Chili mac, and Taco Soup in a jar, plus any time I want to add a spicy flair to eggs or even dehydrated vegetable chips!
You can make as big of a batch or as little as you need, and it’s so versatile – you can adjust any quantity of anything you see listed. Don’t really like garlic? Leave it out. LOVE coriander? Add more!
I also love using this with anything homegrown I can preserve and use. Dehydrated onion powder, garlic powder, a different ‘paprika’ if I don’t have great chilis, I can use regular bell peppers if that’s what I have at the time.
Any ingredient can be adjusted to fit your particular taste. Creating this bulk taco seasoning mix is a love letter to your favorite flavors!
- Smoked Paprika – If you can’t get it easily, you can use any paprika you have access to, including making your own from bell peppers or any pepper that you have dehydrated and powdered.
- Salt isn’t necessary if you’re trying to reduce your sodium intake. You can salt the final dish you need for your family.
- Coriander powder – This is one ingredient I wouldn’t skip as it adds a distinct flavor to the mix. It’s the ground seed from the coriander plant. Store the seed and grinder as much as you need at a time. It’s not something to grind and store in bulk on the shelf.
- Bouillon – we prefer using a salt-free bouillon to help control the salt content of our foods, but you can use whatever is your favorite.
- Arrowroot Powder – Arrowroot adds not only a thickening property to the sauce, it acts as a desiccant to help stop clumping. You can replace it with cornstarch if you prefer.
- Protein – you can use this with any protein you prefer.
1/4 cup of this homemade taco seasoning mix equals 1 store bought packet of taco mix.
This mix will easily fit into a quart sized jar.
The shelf life is about a year (your mileage may vary).
- I recommend using arrowroot powder to keep the blend from clumping over time.
- Use as much or as little as you like. The quantity is only recommended.
- Use this with any protein you’d like – it’s not just for ground beef.
DIY Bulk Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Airtight storage container
- 1 Cup Chili powder
- 1/2 Cup Cumin
- 1/3 Cup Smoked paprika Any kind will do, smoke intensifies the flavor
- 1/3 Cup Salt Don't use table salt
- 1/4 Cup Black pepper, ground
- 3 Tablespoons Garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons Onion powder
- 3 Tablespoons Oregano, dried
- 1/3 Cup Coriander powder Dried coriander seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne pepper Use as much or as little as you like
- 1/2 Cup Beef Boullion Leave out the salt if you use salted bouillion
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot powder Works as a thickening ingredient and as a desiccant; use cornstarch as a replacement.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a year.
- Cook meat, drain; place back into skillet.
- Add 1/4 C Bulk Taco Seasoning Mix to 1 pound of ground beef.
- Add 1 cup of liquid and allow to simmer.
- Serve however you like!
- Use as much or as little as you like. It’s not an exact science!
- Use with beef, chicken, tofu, pork, etc.
- Nutritional calculation based on the ¼ cup serving of mix to make tacos, not the full taco calorie count.
Nutritional information is an estimation only. Nutrient information for dehydrated foods is based on fresh. Use 1/4 of the servicing size for the same nutrient information. Thus 1 Cup of fresh fruit has the same sugars as 1/4 dried.
©ThePurposefulPantry. Photographs and content are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe’s link is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.